ITHACA, NY – The Sciencenter is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year with a weekend full of special activities, Saturday, March 2, 10am – 5pm and Sunday, March 3, noon – 5pm at the Sciencenter in Ithaca.
"We’re delighted to invite the community that helped build the Sciencenter to join us in celebrating our 30th anniversary," said Charles Trautmann, Executive Director.
An assortment of special hands-on activities will be offered just for the weekend: March 2, 11 am – 1 pm, and March 3 noon – 2 pm. Guests will embark on a visual journey through time with activity stations that represent milestones in Sciencenter history since 1983, as well as mark achievements in science. The line-up includes classic hands-on Sciencenter activities, like fun with thermal imaging cartier replica, and physics experiments related to the “From Here to There” exhibition. Guests may also explore new materials in nanotechnology, make bleeding paper, and create an origami duckie for a chance to win a one of two family level memberships.
Also on March 2 at 2 pm, learn where new Sciencenter exhibits come from with a special “Showtime! Presentation” given by the traveling exhibits curator. And at 2 pm on March 3 join the Sciencenter’s live exhibits coordinator to observe an animal at mealtime and learn how the Sciencenter keeps our animals healthy.
Additionally, the salt water tide pool replica watches Touch Tank will be open for special hours March 2, 11 am – 1 pm, and regular hours 2 – 4 pm on March 3. The Touch Tank features live tide pool animals, combining the Sciencenter’s trademark hands-on exhibits with live animal elements typically only seen at a large rolex replica, urban aquarium.
Thirty years ago the Sciencenter had portable science kits, which have evolved into the Sciencenter’s Discovery Space, a quiet area where families can explore topics such as fingerprinting, magnification, water and more. The usually seasonal Discovery Space will be open all weekend – March 2, 10 am to 5 pm and March 3, noon to 5pm.
Guests can also explore “From Here to There,” an exhibition about transportation by land, sea and air, which is part of the Sciencenter’s international traveling exhibition program cartier replica, currently on display into April.
All Saturday, March 2 activities are included with museum admission. On Sunday only, admission is free. The March 3 Free Sunday is made possible by the generous support of M&T Bank.
The Sciencenter inspires excitement for science through interactive exhibits and programs that engage, educate and empower. The hands-on museum offers guests of all ages more than 250 exhibits rolex replica, educational programs, a gift shop, an outdoor science park and a seasonal miniature golf course. The museum is open Tuesday - Saturday from 10 am to 5 pm, and Sunday from noon to 5 pm. Admission is $8 for adults, $7 for seniors, $6 for children 3-17 years, and free to members and children under 3. For membership information, current programs and activities, please visit www.sciencenter.org. The Sciencenter is a proud member of the Discovery Trail in Ithaca.
- The History Center's Artistry and Piety: Tiffany Windows and Glass Making in Tompkins County and the Finger Lakes
- Tompkins County Public Library: Legos, Play and Story Times
- Johnson Museum of Art Big Draw
- Cornell Plantations Fall 2013 Lecture Series
- Museum of the Earth's 10th Anniversary
- Guided Bird Walks at the Lab of O
- Raising the Dead at Museum of the Earth
- Sciencenter's Roll, Drop and Bounce
- Summer Shakespeare at Cornell Plantations
- The History Center's Curiosities: Rarities and Oddities from the Collection
- Tompkins County Public Library 2013 Summer Reading
- Cayuga Nature Center Butterfly Garden June 2013
- Museum of the Earth Glacier Exhibit May 2013
- Lab of O Migration Celebration May 2013
- Johnson Museum 60 years of Exhibition Posters
- Nano Days and Hip Hop
- Maple Fest at Cayuga Nature Center
- Sciencenter 30th Celebration
- Spring Exhibition at the Sciencenter